Thursday, June 13, 2013

Burnt Eyeballs and the Mt Baker SESH YUP 2013

So the 2013 Mt Baker Seshup went down this past Sunday. The day before, me and a couple friends went out to help with the pre-build. When we got there, around noon, nobody was there, and a huge bare spot in the normal run-in was exposed. Also, there was hardly a jump.

Pre shoveling

After about an hour of BSing a few more folks showed up so we started throwing snow at the booter. It was mostly overcast all day, but warm, so I sun screened up, but I didn't have sun glasses or wear my goggles. This will turn out to bite me in the ass.. After about 5 hours of snow shoveling, block cutting and runway construction, we called it a day and headed back to B-Ham. Late that night, I was awoken by an excruciating pain in my eyeballs. It felt like I had hot sand all up in there. Yes, I sun-burnt my eyes to the max, thankfully I didn't go snow-blind, and yes I was aware of snow being reflective. It's just easy to forget when it's cloudy -- and being June (powerful rays).

Woke up the next morning, feeling a bit better, toughed it out, drove myself to the hill and helped finish off the shoveling. A good 200+ folks showed up to hang out, hit the booter, get drunk, whatever.

The rerouted runway took lots of man power.

Spectators.

The first couple of hits on the booter, I couldn't even clear the knuckle, even though I was all-out pointing at the thing. (The run-in was on par with its normal state of a washboarded, rutted, hold on for your life while going as fast as you can kind of deal.) So before hiking up for a third time, my buddy Chris Bowlin offered me some of his warm temp rub-on wax. I slapped some on the base of my CAPiTA TFA, and the next hit, I sailed one far over the knuckle and down the landing -- backwards, up-side-down, death plunge style. Landed straight on my back, and I was completely okay. That's what I love about this jump, lots of gnarly looking wrecks go down, but people normally walk away just fine. 

Anyhow, here's some sweet photos that Brad Andrew took at the event. Big ups to Steven Goodell and everyone else who made this party possible!



Squirrel

Super Styler Kael

Dogs and Methods



Back 1

Bowlin

The Coon

Sandberg Back 1. Dude freaking Rips.

Toe huck it.


Skier Shenanigans

Sarge McCarthy

Genovese kills it

Max Dre. Front cork 7

It happens..


Boner Frodeo, straight to the back


Bergin-Sperry

PMac front trees

Bergin-Sperry has one of my favorite methods of anyone

Chris Bowlin too. He knows how to boost

I tweaked a couple..




No comments:

Post a Comment